Saturday, March 19

Not Needed Necessities

I'm back in my hometown for the weekend. The man's father's band played at the bowling alley last night so we came back to hang out with family and friends. I have to admit, for some older guys making noise, those guys are really good and fun to listen to. We also did some bowling and I almost beat Chase.

My parents needed some groceries to feed me for the weekend, so I volunteered to go shopping with my pops. I wasn't planning on getting any food at all for myself, but we ended up getting enough to fill my fridge. My dad kept insisting that I just 'get it now, rather than later.' This was probably the last time that my parents will ever buy groceries for me, as a college student. It felt weird for me having them pay for my groceries. It's just a simple thing, yet needed, and I appreciate it so much. Especially, when I am very aware of the costs of food and know what is worth spending money on and what isn't. It's not that I don't have money; the longest I have gone without a job is maybe three weeks. I hate spending other people's money, too. There have been times when I come home from school, and ask my parents if it is alright if I eat something out of the cupboard. Obviously, they seem confused why I would ask such a thing. I know it's my home, yet I also live on my own and have my own place. People don't just come over and eat whatever they want out of my fridge. That would be kinda rude. And I would never just take a yogurt or soda out of someone else's fridge without asking.

College is weird. Moving and being away is weird. When I first started school, my parents were picking me up every other weekend for activities back at home that I needed to attend, and pretty much every time they brought me back, they would take me out grocery shopping. I obviously appreciated it, but it sort of became an expected gesture. When I moved out of the dorms my sophomore year, I was buying my own groceries, and they would give me some money maybe once a month or buy groceries for me whenever I would come home and fill up my truck. When I transferred schools and moved to the big city, I lived downtown and started doing all of my grocery shopping and everything all on my own. And have continued to do that since then.

It will be very different moving back home this summer. Obviously, I will be helping out with groceries and paying for what I can.  It's the least I can do for everything my parents have done for me. I don't think I can say this enough, but thank you, thank you, thank you. My parents are so awesome and without them, I would be a clueless, homeless, coo-coo. They have taught me everything I know and have been there for me and put up with me through everything (which has been A LOT ... I have no idea how they did it). I know they are my parents and seem to assume that some of these things are just their responsibilities, but I don't expect it. At all. So I appreciate it so so so much.

Simple acts of kindness go a long ways. Family is precious, so hold on to the moments you have.

peace and love.
kails.

No comments:

Post a Comment