Thursday, March 31

This Is It

I just watched Michael Jackson's "This Is It." I know, I'm kind of, sort of, a lot behind the bandwagon. ESPECIALLY for going to a music college. However, I have never really sat through an entire MJ album (even though I have always really liked anything I have heard from him). I've never really experienced what he and his music were all about.

Now, I know. I can't imagine anyone watching that film and not being inspired. He is absolutely amazing. I love his music, and always have. It makes me want to dance. I have to admit, I watched it alone and was definitely dancing to the music by myself. You just can't help it! The passion, love, care, and admiration he had for music is so amazing. He was so wrapped up in it, and knows absolutely everything about it and what he wanted out of it. His vision for how he wanted people to perceive him and his music is so strategic and he knew exactly how to plan everything out and make people feel what he wanted them to feel.

I was talking to a friend today about graduation and about what we really want to do once we get shoved into the big-kid world. I mentioned that going to music school has kind of ruined music for me in some ways (and she, surprisingly, agreed). I do still love music. I just can't help but critique everything I see or hear now. That may be a good thing for some parts of the music industry, but I used to always be on top of my music game. I knew every band that was new and popular, every song, every album. Now, I feel like I know nothing. I recently downloaded music for the first time in over four months, at least. I feel like I don't have time anymore. And maybe I do, but I'm consumed with music homework, that in my free time it's not what I want to do. I guess that's just it. Music has become homework.

I'm sure this whole attitude will change as soon as I go to my next concert. Or even as soon as I graduate and start yearning for music on my own again, instead of being told to. Maybe it's just that I don't want to attend concerts anymore, I want to help plan them. I want to be there when their bus or van gets there and be around the entire process. I want to help make sure that everything is running smoothly and make sure the band is having a good time rather than just experiencing them making a good time for their fans.

I know I've blogged a bunch about graduation. But, it's a pretty big deal. And in less than 1 hour, I will be able to say that "I am graduating this month." I'm not scared. I mean, I am. But, I feel like the adrenaline is 90% excitement and 10% freaked-out-of-my-mind. My sister keeps telling me to embrace unemployment. And that's just what I'm going to do. Because once I do find that job, there will be no more spring breaks, or "sick days" for an excuse to sleep in, or spontaneous road trips. I will be committed to something. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to having a career, meeting new people, helping a company build, and teaching them what I know while I learn from them at the same time. But as of right now, I'm not tied down to anything. I have no career set for me yet (even though I've applied to approximately 100 jobs by now. At least.).

I've been asked a lot lately what exactly DO I want to do with a career. I want to be on the music side of the extreme sports industry. I want to help with the event planning, promoting, marketing, blogging, etc. about musicians, bands, and concerts that the extreme sports industry deals with. Red Bull is a very good example of a company that I want to work for. They are an energy drink, that sponsors extreme sports athletes. BUT they ALSO have a 'music' section on their website, and an organization called Red Bull Music Academy. Extreme sports and music in one brand/company? Yes. Other companies that work with both industries include: Fuel TV, Quiksilver, and Alli Sports. Going to music school, I initially wanted to get into being a Music Supervisor for an extreme sports film company (where I would pick out the songs and help them set the music for the films). However, through my courses, I have found that my strengths are in organization, being hands-on, and loving to interact; not sitting behind a computer and searching for bands all day long.

I have also been asked WHY I want to do what I want to do. That is a little bit harder to explain. Growing up on a lake, it's kind of hard to see myself not on a lake. Looking back on the feeling that I would get just being IN the boat with a wakeboarder behind it, makes me wish I was there every single day of my life. It's the energy, atmosphere, and the people that surround the extreme sports industry. Pushing everything to the limit. Taking risks for their own lives. Being able to balance, fun, spontaneity, humor, competition, and seriousness all into one big bubble. I also have a thing for people who have a passion. And the people in the extreme sports world makes it very obvious that they are insanely passionate about what they are doing. They might not have a billion dollars, 10 boats, or a house on the ocean, but they do have a lot of love and dedication for what they are doing. Watching friends push each other, learn from each other, and helping each other out is the greatest thing you could ask for when it comes to learning and growing.  The extreme sports industry and the music industry have a huge thing in common: creativity. It's not the type of creativity of designing a commercial, or building a transformer. It's a personal creativity. Expressive. All based on that person's thoughts and emotions, and what they believe they can do. That's why I want to do what I want to do. Why I WILL do what I want to do.

Ideas have been swirling in my head. (Uh-oh). I've been seriously thinking about heading out to Florida or California for a bit. Seeing if there is anything out there (and to learn how to surf, of course). I'm young. And once I have a family, there will be no more random moving or anything. I will have to settle down. So, as for now, I am really looking forward to having nothing to do, and a whole lot I can do, all at the same time. I'm ready to go and meet people, and experiencing many, many things.

Back to MJ. Inspiration. He loved what he did. He loved who he was and what he had to share with people. Well I have a lot to share with people too. And a strong desire for wanting to know what other people have to share with me. Life is full of possibilities (cliche, I know). But seriously.

I can do anything I want. You can do anything you want. Just make sure you love it and yourself while you're doing it.

And I strongly recommend watching the film if you haven't yet.

peace and love.
kails.

No comments:

Post a Comment